Friday, June 3, 2011

Gobbo and the world of Airsoft!

To say I have hobbies, is like saying the Earth has some trees.  New to my list of excitement is the hobby known as Airsoft.  What is airsoft you ask?  Airsoft is like paintball, if paintball guns looked real and fired 6mm Biodegradable plastic BBs.  So like Paintball, only cool.

Ok, enough slamming of paintball.  I used to play Semi-pro Paintball back in my pre-Army days.  I LOVED paintball.  I used to play every Sunday for 4 years on a team called Aggravated Assault.  We played a few tournaments and even won one.

So when I had friends recently ask me if I wanted to come out to try airsoft, I thought, "Why not.  I loved paintball!"

Magpul PST Masada ACR and M4 variants. 
Airsoft guns do not look like paintball markers, with huge 250 round gravity feed hoppers on top and big tanks to propel the paintballs.  Airsoft guns look real.  They look like M-4's and AK-47s and Glock pistols and even Miniguns!  They can selectively fire in semi-automatic or full-auto.  The use magazines to feed the BBs and they use Battery packs or "Green Gas" to propel the bbs at up to 400 fps [feet per second] and use BBs ranging in weight from .20 gram up to .43 gram [for sniper rifles] or higher.

In my next posting I will go over what the difference in an AEG, Gas Blowback, Springer and CO2 guns is and what airsoft is really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment